Ref Rampage is a mini-game available to play during halftime.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- Object: use a shotgun to kill as many zombie referees as able within 30 seconds without letting any of them catch the player.
- Each human-controlled team uses one randomly-selected player from their living roster.
- The player may move and use one button to fire their gun. They start with 9 bullets.
- The player may run over guns to pick up 9 more bullets or fresh ref corpses for 2. There is no maximum ammo. Gun pickups respawn a few seconds after the previous one was picked up.
- The player is restricted to a small area around midfield with a bird's-eye camera tracking him.
- If the player is tackled before time expires, that player dies and the mini-game ends.
- The game also ends with a dead player if they step on any of the four land mines inside the play area. Zombies will not step on the mines.
- In single-player, the player wins if they score at least 500 points AND survive the entire 30 seconds.
- In two-player, the higher-scoring player wins.
Reward[edit | edit source]
- One use of the Resurrection Dirty trick, good ONLY between the first play from scrimmage in the second half and the game's conclusion
- Regardless of whether or not a team wins the mini-game, the player they used remains alive and on the roster if he survives all 30 seconds.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Move, move, move! Regardless of who's in there, they all move the same speed in this mini-game. Your player is faster than the zombies.
- Use the spread cone as a guide to see if you can hit any refs and how close they are to catching you.
- Fire in waves at thicker crowds when stopping to rack up score. This makes effective use of ammo and time and staves off the tip of the zombie attack.
- Don't get cornered! Clear a path and move out of a corner sooner before the zombies block your escape routes.
- Make your way to guns when they pop up. They cannot spawn in more than one at a time.
- Use cover fire to open up your path or when walking to an off-screen area or to a gun. This is insurance against running into a surprise zombie you're now headed for at your speed plus theirs.
- If all else fails and you're not going to win, survive. You'll at least keep that player to use in the main game.